USS O'Brien, DD 975
Crest of the USS O'Brien
Loyalty Unity Freedom
Above: USS O'Brien (DD 975) underway in the
Pacific off the coast of California.
Named for Jeremiah O'Brien, Revolutionary War ship captain.
- Length - 563 feet, 4 inches
- Beam - 55 feet
- Draft - 29 feet
- Displacement -8,040 tons
- Complement - 19 officers, 351 enlisted
- Engineering - 4 General Electric Gas Turbines, 2 shafts,
2 rudders, Shaft Horsepower = 80,000
- Speed - 32.5 knots
- Armament - Two 5"/54cal MK45 Mod 1 Gun Mounts,
One Mk 41 VLS Launcher, Two Mk 32 Torpedo Tubes, One Mk 29 NATO
Sea Sparrow Missile Launcher, Two quad Mk 141 Harpoon Launchers,
and Two Mk 15 Phalanx CIWS.
- Aircraft - Two SH-60 Light Airborne Multi-Purpose
System (LAMPS) III
Commissioned - 03 December 1977
Noted accomplishment - Participated in Operation Praying
Mantis (1988) and Desert Shield.
Status - Actively commissioned, homeported in Yokosuka,
Photograph taken by website author.
Above: USS O'Brien at anchor in Bali, Indonesia,
Back to Naval Service